Few desserts cover as much ground as the ice cream sundae. A truly perfect one is a sweet, salty, chocolaty, crunchy, creamy, fruity (did we miss anything?) blend of goodness. While we can take down a double scoop of mint chocolate chip any day, sometimes we’re in the mood for something a little less rich. Enter the ultimate better-for-you ice cream sundae. With a banana ice cream base, coconut oil hot fudge, and Greek yogurt whipped cream (plus a cherry on top, duh!), this cooling treat is super satisfying, but won’t leave you moaning on the couch an hour later. Grab a few friends and a bunch of spoons to demolish the sundae together… but only if you’re feeling generous.
How to Make the Greatist Ice Cream Sundae
Melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave or in a small saucepan. Whisk in 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, then 2 teaspoons maple syrup and pinch of salt. Set aside. Scoop banana ice cream (here’s how to make it) into your sundae vessel of choice: bowl, mug, bathtub, etc.
Drizzle the coconut oil hot fudge over the ice cream.
Dollop a generous mound of yogurt whipped cream. (That’d be 2 tablespoons plain Green yogurt, whisked for about 30 seconds.)
Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
Add a shower of cocoa nibs, then top with a cherry (or five!).
Grab some friends and a bunch of spoons; destroy the sundae.
The Greatist Ice Cream Sundae
Recipe by: Rebecca Firkser
2 tablespoons coconut oil
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons room temperature maple syrup
Pinch Kosher salt
1 batch banana ice cream
2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, whisked for about 30 seconds
Chopped walnuts (or your favorite nut/seed)
1. Melt coconut oil in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave or in a small saucepan. Whisk in cocoa powder, then maple syrup and salt. Set aside. Scoop ice cream into your sundae vessel of choice (bowl, mug, bathtub, etc.).
2. Drizzle the coconut oil hot fudge over the ice cream.
3. Dollop a generous mound of yogurt whipped cream.
4. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
5. Add a shower of cocoa nibs, then top with a cherry (or five!).
6. Grab some friends and a bunch of spoons; destroy the sundae.